Transition Town Totnes Communications Officer
Location: Transition Town Totnes office, Totnes
Contract type: Employed
Work pattern: 1.5 days per week
Reporting to: TTT Coordinator
Rate of pay: £20.000 pro rata
Holiday: 25 (pro-rata for part-time staff) working days holiday in each holiday year (being the period from 1st September to 31st August). You are also entitled to receive your normal remuneration for a pro rata of all Bank and Public Holidays normally observed in England and Wales.
Introduction to TTT
Transition Town Totnes (TTT) is a community-led charity, working to develop a regenerative and healthy community within our local area. We do this by catalysing, supporting and collaborating with a diverse portfolio of grassroots projects, enterprises, partnerships and individuals embedded in the town.
With our coordination, these projects form a movement that innovates models of community leadership and systems thinking across different sectors (with different goals) whilst simultaneously working towards a common vision – ‘To build a happy, healthy, caring community that is environmentally, economically and socially resilient in a changing world’
We manage, deliver and collaborate with a number of projects and partnerships based around our key themes:
- Local economy
- Health and wellbeing
- Housing, building and energy
- Inner transition
- The arts
- Waste & resources
The Communications Officer plays a key role in planning and delivering communications to key groups, such as supporters, volunteers or staff. The post holder will write, edit, co-ordinate and publish content across various channels, including the website, social media, and print and online engagement materials.
Writing for Totnes Directory
- Compiling information from across TTT for monthly articles in the Totnes Directory. Writing and editing content and images for a double page spread.
- Liaising with different Project Managers and Project leads across TTT to collect stories and information for monthly e-bulletin with a local and international readership of over 1,000
- Writing and editing e-bulletin using Mailchimp
- Sourcing and editing images
TTT Monthly Programme of events
- Liaising with different projects and groups across TTT to create a monthly events programm
- Printing programme and distributing when necessary
Website & social media
- Updating website and Facebook pages (in collaboration with Project Support Officer)
- Working closely with TTT Coordinator & Project Support Officer to create communications plans that coordinate communications and engagement activity
- Writing and distributing occasional press releases prior to large events
- Attending quarterly communications meetings and monthly Core Group meetings
- From time to time you may be invited to help out at weekend or evening events. This would be in a voluntary capacity and we respect your right to say no
Key Skills and Attributes
- Experience of writing, editing, co-coordinating and publishing written content across various channels, including web, social media, print and online materials
- Experience of compiling and editing images for web, supporter engagement and marketing materials
- Experience of social media management and digital content development
- Experience of maintaining websites with up to date communications
- Experience of developing and distributing media releases and responding to media queries
- Demonstrate experience of being able to work independently and autonomously
- A willingness to support cross-cutting TTT activity and participate in Core Group and core activities
- Experience of digital media and communications strategy
- Experience of using MailChimp and WordPress
- Have a good working knowledge of local media outlets
- Experience of working in charities or grassroots organizations aiming to bring about environmental or social change
About the Team and the office
This role will be based at TTT’s main office, the Transition Town Totnes Support Hub; a strategic and physical hub for the organisation. The office consists of a part-time Coordinator who you will report to, an Administrator, a Communications Officer and an Accountant (voluntary) who offer support to Project Managers and volunteers. There is desk space for 3 grant funded Project Managers.
The office also provides critical support for groups and projects, including financial management, fundraising, project management, event management, supporter engagement, marketing and communications. We also support a network of over 150 local volunteers.
The Support Centre also helps promote ‘Transition Tours’ of the town, where visitors and tourists can meet project leaders and enjoy a fun and interactive insight into our work.
TTT is not a 'membership' organisation, but a collection of local volunteers with a small staff team, who come together to work on projects.
TTT is a registered charity. Currently we have 5 Trustees whose experience includes: law, education, health, accountancy, social and community work, and organisational management. The key role of Trustees is to ensure financial due diligence and that the objects of our charity are adhered to.
Alongside the Trustees we have Core Group which meets monthly and is comprised of a representative from each theme/project group and board of Trustees, as well as TTT support staff. The role of the Core group is:
- To set the strategic direction for the organisation, vote on decisions such as new partnerships and agree the evolution of the organisation
- To provide the capacity, resources and funding to implement the aims and objectives of the organisation
- To support all participants, including all volunteers and paid staff
- To agree communications to build coherence
Closing Date: Wednesday 29th November, 5pm
Interview Date: December 5th
Application process: To apply, please email us your CV including contact information for 2 referees and a covering letter outlining how your skills and experience would enable you to fulfil the main responsibilities, skills and attributes in the job description. Please keep your letter to two sides of A4.
Email your CV and covering letter to: email@example.com