The Transition Homes project to build 25 low cost, low impact homes in Dartington has just been awarded a £50,000 grant by the Homes and Communities Agency to help prepare the planning application. This award comes on top of loans from local people to fund the £250,000 purchase price of the Clay Park site, near Puddavine in Dartington, and a pre-development loan of £25,000 from Venturesome.
“This award is in recognition of the community led nature of this project and means that we can go full steam ahead with preparing the planning application”, said Pam Macdonald, Chair of the Transition Homes Community Land Trust (CLT).
Up to now the project has been entirely run by volunteers but, using some of the new grant funding, the CLT is now seeking to take-on a part-time, paid co-ordinator and an intern for 6 months to cover the busy period up to the submission of our planning application. These are exciting roles on a cutting-edge project involving the development of low cost, low carbon housing with integrated food production, water treatment systems and renewable energy.
Applicants need to be enthusiastic and efficient and not fazed by having to take on a wide variety of tasks. Applicants should be proficient in Word and Excel and have excellent communication skills. For the co-ordinators role experience in the fields of housing and/or construction and some understanding of affordable housing development and the planning process would be an advantage but are not essential.
The co-ordinator and the intern will be based at the Transition Town Totnes’ offices in Totnes. The salary for the co-coordinator's role will be £23,400 pro-rata (i.e. £5,850 for two and a half days a week for 6 months).
For both roles it will be necessary to attend some meetings and other events outside office hours.
To apply for either role please send a covering letter and CV to Mary Popham at email@example.com by close on Monday 10th March. To discuss the roles please also contact Mary on 07815 799996.
Transition Homes Project Co-ordinator Job Description.
Overall Purpose of Role:-
To support and co-ordinate the Transition Homes project at Clay Park so that good progress is made, as far as possible in line with the agreed time-line.
The project co-ordinator will report to the Chair of Transition Homes.
During the pre-development period the main tasks will include:-
1. Monitor the project timeline and work programme and manage the progress of the project in relation to these. Report as required on progress.
2. Support THT chair to bring forward business to the Board in a timely manner in relation to the work programme. Ensure the minutes of Board meetings are written up and distributed in a timely manner.
3. Support communications between the working groups of THT and between THT and external consultants, specialists and stakeholders.
4. Assist the finance subgroup in financial management of the pre-development phase.
5. Draft funding applications as required.
6. Assist the allocations sub-group in the development of their processes as required.
7. Assist the communications subgroup as necessary e.g. update website, draft mailing list updates, prepare for consultation events.
8. Assist the design subgroup as required.
9. Assist the Chair of Transition Homes as required
10. Manage the Transition Homes intern
Description of Intern Role.
The role will include:
* Providing administrative support to the Transition Homes Project Group and to the various sub-groups dealing with Design & Construction, Finance, Residents & Allocations, Communications and Energy.
* Assisting the Project Coordinator, the Chair of Transition Homes and others involved in the project as necessary.
* Undertaking research in support of the project
The role will be managed by the Transition Homes Project Coordinator.
The successful applicant will work from the offices of Transition Town Totnes and the REconomy Centre, also in Totnes, and therefore also have the opportunity to learn from these successful Transition initiatives.
Although this post is unpaid we will are able to help with travel and accommodation expenses.
Some further information on Transition Homes is available here.