Much of Totnes will soon, once again, be able to get free loft and cavity wall insulation through the Cosy Devon ECO partnership between the Devon Local Authorities and the energy company Eon.
If you live outside the relevant areas you will still be able get free insulation and boiler upgrades if you are on certain qualifying benefits.
For those that don't qualify for free insulation the cost will be £99 each for loft and cavity wall insulation.
The new Cosy Devon scheme is due to launch on the 7th July. Transition Town Totnes will be able to refer households to the scheme and will receive a small a small referral fee if any installations take place. Contact Mary Popham on 07815 799996 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
In addition, the government has launched the Green Deal Home Improvement Fund (GDHIF) through which you can get back up to 75% of the cost of installing solid wall insulation, up to £6,000. In addition, you can get up to a total of £1,000 towards the cost of installing any 2 of the following:
- a condensing gas boiler on mains gas
- double or triple glazing as a replacement for single glazing
- secondary glazing
- replacement doors
- cavity wall insulation
- floor insulation
- flat-roof insulation
- insulation for a room in the roof
- a replacement warm air unit
- replacement storage heaters
- flue gas heat recovery units
- a waste water heat recovery system
To get the funding you must:
- Be improving a domestic property in England or Wales;
- Have had the proposed improvements recommended in an energy performance certificate or green deal advice report within the last two years;
- Ensure that the improvements are eligible for GDHIF
- Use an authorised green deal installer or provider already registered with the GDHIF (find a list here; For the most results, leave all sections blank except your postcode and remember to check the box to see only companies who are registered with GDHIF. There are currently 112 registered across the country);
- Apply for the voucher BEFORE the work commences at gov.uk/apply-home-improvement-fund;
- Have the installation made within six months of the date of the voucher being issued
More information about how the Green Deal Home Improvement Fund here.