Seventeen gathered on February 5th - close to the old festival of Imbolc, the time of planting seeds for the new year. This was the Inner Transition open meeting with a mix of old friends and newer comers.
We started with a body shake out from Ros, and then, in the tradition of Inner Transition, gave each other a good listening to (see pic). In pairs we heard from our partner about things we are affected by in our world or community, and in our lives.
A go round of “what would you like from the meeting?” brought several ideas for conversations and new activities – see below. We gave an update on what members of Inner Transition including the coordinating Pulse group. This includes..
- Our presence at Winterfest
- the Reading Group, lively and active, currently reading A Marriage of East and West
- Time to Breathe, a weekly relaxation and meditation group
- Hosting public talks
- The Mentoring and complementary therapies project (currently giving free support to 12 people working in Transition, paid or unpaid)
After a break for tea there was a chance for people to “host” conversations on the ideas they were bringing. These included:
- Starting a process of mapping all the groups doing inner work – personal development, faith groups, spiritual practice, healing and so on. This would give us a sense of how much is going on, and who we could connect to.
- A discussion about the purpose of the Inner Transition group.
- A request for help with putting on Schumacher speakers in town
- A conversation about the Ecocide course run last week at Schumacher
We’ll write up discussion of the group’s purpose and add it here..
Our final discussion was about how often to have these meetings – and whether there is a way to make them more frequent and regular without creating a lot of work. The suggestion of one for each season seemed popular – perhaps in sync with the major Celtic festivals, since this gathering is close to Imbolc, traditionally the time for planting seeds for the year.
Requests for help -
if you would like to be part of a team putting on speakers, mainly from Schumacher, please contact Josh
If you can help to put on regular open meetings email inner transition. Also if you would like to be in touch with the group doing the mapping.
Thanks to all who came.
Conversation about the purpose of Inner Transition.
Several people gathered around the table to have a conversation about what the purpose of IT is/should be/could be.
The following is a list of suggestions and comments generated (in no particular order):
- Educational Role
- How to balance inner and outer
- We’re always on a continuum
- How to balance inner and outer
- The importance of being vs doing
- Communication skills
- Use of technology
- Holding a space for inner work
- Reflection & emergence following events/talks etc.
- Shadow work
- Meeting emotional and spiritual needs
- Within the town
- Open a dialogue about people’s responses to climate change/weather/floods
- At the centre of TTT?
- Does everyone see it that way?
- A branch
- Purpose is evolving
- Contribute to other projects
- How are things being done
- Conflict resolution/mediation
- “Whatever turns you on/whatever makes you sing”
- “From the inside out for the new world”
The list does not feel complete, developed or challenged and I’m sure this will continue in future meetings.