A mere 7 years from its initial inception as a project idea, the planning application for Transition Homes’ 27 houses at Clay Park, Dartington was submitted to South Hams District Council in December and South Hams’ planning consultation is now open throughout February, until March 2nd. We encourage you to comment on the application online - follow this link - and will have a decision by May 3rd.
Our planning statement has not yet been uploaded by South Hams District Council. It's a long document, but it provides context for our plans and explains how the design process has been informed by our ethos of sustainability and affordability - you can read it here. It contains all the plans & designs, and a wealth of information.
* If you are using a smart phone, the link will not work. Please search South Hams planning via Google, and in their search facility enter '2927/15' under application number.
The main aim of the project is to provide affordable, sustainable housing for local people in housing need. The application includes plans for 19 affordable houses, with 8 market houses which are required to generate income to help pay for the affordable homes.
Transition Homes site plan, Clay Park
The key features of the development include:
- 27 terraced homes: 1, 2, 3 and 4 bedroom
- a community building, and plant room for a wood-fuelled boiler
- highly sustainable development using low-carbon materials and technologies to minimise environmental impact
- highly energy efficient homes resulting in low energy costs for residents
- 19 affordable homes for local people in housing need, with 8 market homes
- high quality construction – not ‘cheap’ housing – using local, natural building materials, and local tradespeople and suppliers
- not 'just' a housing development: the site includes food growing areas; renewable energy; community orchard and coppice; shared facilities including a village green, community hub, and laundry; training & education opportunities for locals, building a new community
- improved biodiversity of the site: hedgerow management and new hedges, native tree planting, orchard, wetland areas, wildflower meadow, nesting for birds and bats
- community led, not-for-profit. Transition Homes CLT is a registered charity, and the project is run by local volunteers.
Artists impression of the view looking west between two terraces
After South Hams' consultation period ends on March 2nd, they will then make a decision by May 3rd. Once planning has been granted, we will start the allocations process - you are able to register your interest in living at Clay Park. Please visit Becoming a resident to find our more.
Clay Park, Dartington
If you have any questions regarding the application, please contact:
By post: Transition Homes CLT, Staverton room, The Mansion, Fore St, Totnes, TQ9 5RP
By email: email@example.com
By phone: 01803 867358 (Nicola Lang, project coordinator, or Mary Popham)